Great Excuses for Skipping Church
Let’s just be honest. Some Sundays, for whatever reason, we just don’t want to go to church. Even though I am a minister, and kind of get paid to be there, I understand that some Sundays it is just so hard to go. The only problem is, if you don’t go, well that looks bad on your Christian-ometer. You could get a bad grade and be blackballed if you just skip church without a good excuse. So, I decided to put together a list of great excuses for skipping and/or not going to church at all.
Majority of these I have heard with my own ears throughout the years (I didn’t mean for that to rhyme, I promise), while some have been heard by others that they shared with me. So, if you would like some good excuses reasons for not being at church, then feast your eyes on these.
- It is youth Sunday.
- God told me I needed to stay home this Sunday for some reason (this is great, who can dispute God???).
- I worked 80 hours this week.
- They are just serving communion, so I will just stay home.
- The music is too loud/slow/fast/old/new/contemporary.
- The music director wouldn’t let me sing in the choir.
- They are having a guest speaker.
- The pews/chairs are too hard/soft.
- Someone made fun of my toes (no joke, heard it myself).
- I’m just not getting fed.
- I don’t know anyone there (because you never come, wait, did I just type that?)
- It’s full of hypocrites (well yea, it’s full of people).
- They try and get “rough” youth to come. I don’t want to be a part of a church that invites kids with problems (blank stare).
- I don’t have anything to wear.
- I can stay home. There are plenty of preachers on TV.
- They just want my hard earned cash.
- The preacher preached against Harry Potter (this is one of my personal favorites).
- I can’t come without my spouse.
- The preacher preaches too long.
- They have drums there.
- Our electricity went off.
- Its too cold/hot.
- No one checked on me after I missed three weeks in a row.
- Someone I don’t like goes there.
- The preacher yells too much.
- There are too many old people.
- They cater to the young too much.
- My alarm didn’t go off.
- I really needed to mow the yard.
- The preacher gave a sermon directed specifically at me.
- The church did me wrong about 15 years ago.
- I can’t come because I might have a seizure crossing the street (this one was given by a gentlemen that lived across the road from the church over a decade ago).
- I overslept.
- I haven’t gotten to see my family much this week.
- It’s the Superbowl.
- Not a single person asked me how I have been doing.
- The church is too mission minded.
- I thought I might be getting sick.
- Someone corrected my child.
- Someone was in my seat.
- I just don’t like church politics.
- I just needed a day off.
- I will go to church when things get right between me and God.
You know, some of these sound pretty decent, but aren’t they really excuses? When I was in college working on my undergraduate degree, I decided to find a reason not to go to church on Wednesday nights. I really didn’t have to work terribly hard. I convinced myself that it really wasn’t important for me to be there on Wednesdays. I went on to miss Wednesday night church for a couple of years, or went on and off. I mean seriously, college students are busy, right? The truth is, it hurt my spiritual life and I missed out on relationships that I could have greatly benefited from.
Sometimes we have good reasons for not being at church, I get that. Things come up here and there. A lot of times though, we find excuses not to be there. Certain churches are not a perfect fit for certain people, but that is no reason to not go. Find a church that teaches the truth, get involved, and go regularly. The cumulative effects will be worth it, I promise. Just remember, no church is perfect because they are full of imperfect people.
And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near. – Hebrews 10:25
Walk good. Live wise. Be blessed
Please, please, please, share with us your favorite church excuse.
- So, I Married A Lion
- The Duck, the Whole Duck, and Nothing But the Duck
- Apologetic Wednesday: Lazy Light Shining
- The Hunger Games, Theology, and Western Culture
- C.S. Lewis: A Life Remembered
- What Does It Matter What I Believe?
- Zombies, Porn, and Your Kids
- 18 Things I Want My Son to Know About Life
- Apologetic Wednesday: Loving the Idea of God
- Apologetic Wednesday: Love Then Logic