I have never heard a child say, “When I grow up, I want to be miserable.” No one ever sets out to have problems. We don’t list heartache as an ambition. Our bucket lists don’t contain ways to elevate our lives to a greater state of misery. Unhappiness works its way into our lives one step at a time. Feeling disillusioned with life is often a slow fade. When we wake up and realize our lives are not what we had in mind it is usually the cumulative result of bad choices that we have made.
But maybe there are exceptions to the rule. So, if you would like a fast track to wreck your life, then just follow these steps:
- Make life all about you.
- Choose money over relationships.
- Hold grudges.
- Let fear control your life.
- Ignore the fact that you are a spiritual being.
- Play it safe. Never dare to chase your dreams.
- Keep things you struggle with a secret.
- Allow emotion to always override your judgment.
- Don’t seek the wisdom that others offer.
- Let other people think for you.
- Choose lust over love.
- Believe everything the media tells you to believe.
- Be quick to point out the mistakes of others.
- Just seek to know instead of applying what you know.
- Run from your problems.
- Don’t set goals or plan for the future.
- Maintain the idea that you are better than others.
- Deny you even have problems.
- Believe that love is just an idea.
- Be faithless.
- Believe the solution to marital problems is finding a new partner.
- Think that your sin only affects you.
- Do the exact same thing over and over and expect something different to happen.
- Never say you are sorry.
- Be lazy.
- Indulge yourself in any way that you desire.
- Always keep a closed mind.
- Make work drudgery.
- Be greedy.
- Make sure that you are right in every argument.
- Look for the negative.
- Make excuses for your flaws.
- Insist that you can always fix your problems and don’t need anyone’s help.
- Spend your life trying to make every single person happy.
- Repeatedly lose your cool in public.
- Sacrifice your morals for personal gain.
- Be unfaithful.
- Try to control everything.
- Make life all work and no play.
- Be suspicious of everything and everyone.
- Bury your head in the sand instead of staying informed.
- Live as though you don’t need God.
- Don’t ever change.
- Ignore the fact that relationships require maintenance.
- Blame other people for your problems.
I hope that we are all monitoring our hearts. It is so easy for certain attitudes, behaviors, or beliefs to pull us off task and lead us to a place we never intended to go. None of us ever intend to wreck our lives, but we have to be vigilant and live purposeful.
“Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.” – Proverbs 4:23
Walk good. Live wise. Be blessed
If you were going to give someone advice on how to wreck their life, what would it be?